According to WordPress’s Jetpack, the WLR website received 20,000 visitors in 2013.
As plans are developed, to have such a well-read website will form an important part of the statutory obligation to consult and it already adds confidence that the proposals are not only of significant public interest but also well-received.
Some of the highlights of 2013 were:
- Network Rail assessed phase 1 of the project (linking Slough to Waterloo via Windsor) and received the proposals positively
- On the basis of this, Network Rail agreed a twenty-year exclusivity with WLR for the purpose of bringing the project forward
- Residents of central Windsor were ‘overwhelmingly supportive’, according to a survey delivered to 2,500 local addresses
- Sir Robert McAlpine looked in detail and the engineering challenges of the tunnel in Windsor and concluded that they had a high degree of confidence that the scheme was technically deliverable
- Network Rail and South-West Trains, which together form an alliance form the region, gave their formal support to phase 1
- The local council, the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead, received two petitions of over 1,400 signatures between them in support
A Happy New Year to everybody!